A section is a vertical line cut through the most appropriate half of the room to reveal any hidden details that will be missed off or not as easily understood on the plan and elevation view.
For instance, staircases, lifts, things such as lighting and light fixtures, and also any suspended ceilings or hidden spacial cavities, should all be visible on the section view.
This was the initial ice breaker of learning to draw sections. Firstly we looked at the dimensions of the cup which were 10x10cm. I sketched this free hand to learn and develop my drawing skills, at a scale of 1:1 as this was accurate sizing for the mug. From the plan view we can see the initial square over head shape, and some sort of handle you would assume, to the viewers right. The usefulness of then drawing an elevation to attach with this is to see any other information.
The information given to us by the elevation is the precise shape/thickness of the handle, which would have otherwise not been seen in the plan view. Moreover, the section is any further details that these two views would have not included. I drew my elevation and section line underneath and straight through the plan sketch to show the viewer my intentions. The section view clearly shows an interior perspective of the cup, to demonstrate some sort of liquid being held inside, and in this case it is tea. I demonstrated the substance with a key to the right hand side, and dotted the liquid on the sketch accordingly.
I found producing elevations and sketches quite straight forward, as I feel I have good visualization skills for this task.
What I found challenging about this task was to gain accuracy of the steps, although difficult to explain, I learned that when changing direction of close lines together, it is better to measure the width between the lines at the same angle, rather than to predict where they are going to meet at the next angle, which would leave them slightly off.
The initial image of this space was taken at a 3D angle, meaning this was slightly more challenging as we were not copying down the same image but translating it into a different scale. The most challenging aspect of this piece was the placement of the staircase. As all measurements were not given, I had to workout and calculate other measurements to leave me with the specific ones I needed. I also learned the best places to start from, which made things a little easier.